Why Cameron is No Ordinary Kid - Part 33

It was Friday, the end of the week, and Michael was due to fly back for the first time. I was so excited, it had been so lonely without him. He had been able to go home and sleep in our bed, feed our pets and be normal. It was exciting.

My Dad was also back for a visit so the day was just getting better and better and of course Mum was happy too. The mums I was talking to on the ward all knew Michael was flying in and they were excited for me.

I was standing having a chat with a mum in an isolation room when Dad walked up and dropped the car keys in my hand. It was getting close to the time Michael needed to be collected from the airport. I panicked!

I had one of those weird conversations that only I can have with my father when he wants me to do something and I don't want to do it. He wanted me to drive to the airport and collect Michael and I didn't want to.

It had nothing to do with Cameron and nothing to do with Michael, it was all about me. I hadn't driven a car in over a month and I was in the middle of the city and didn't have the foggiest idea how to get from the hospital to the airport. I was having a full on panic attack. It was also the first time I was going to leave the block of the hospital - that was scary.

I ended up standing in the middle of the ward, throwing my hands up in the air and saying - "I just want someone to take me to the airport to get Michael." I felt stupid and Dad was struggling to understand why I was being so difficult. Thankfully he backed down and agreed to drive me to the airport. We left Mum to watch Cameron.

It was so exciting to see Michael come off the plane, the week had seemed so long. He came bearing gifts of fresh clothing for Cameron and myself. He had Cameron's pram and rocker and a few other things which made life just a little bit more comfortable.

Michael was excited to see Cameron again, it had been a long week for him. He didn't want to leave us and he was now out of contact with what was happening. I'd met people and had experiences which he had missed out on. This wasn't how our family normally operated.

But none of that mattered now, right now we were a family again  and we wanted to spend as much time together as possible over the weekend.

Comments