Why Cameron is No Ordinary Kid - Part 9

After not sleeping for three days I finally fell into an exhausted sleep and woke up in the morning feeling a little better but my stomach was in knots. Mum and Dad were arriving and I was scared. I'm not scared of my parents, I was scared of telling them what had happened to Cameron because I knew they would be devastated.

I showered and got dressed, walked out of the room and then promptly turned around and went back in. I paced the room too scared to leave. This was so unlike me but I just couldn't do it. I stood there panicking. I wanted Michael but he was with Cameron and what if my parents had already arrived. Finally I did something that was also out of character. I walked down to the nurses desk, of the ward our room was in, and asked them to phone ICU and ask Michael to come and get me. The desk clerk looked really confused but she did it for me.

I stood at the door of the ward and waited for Michael. He came immediately and I threw my arms around him, I was so relieved to see him. He told me Mum and Dad had not arrived yet so we went to see Cameron. It was really calm and quiet in his room and everything was as I had left it the night before.

The doctor came in and explained that patients with Meningitis have major seizures on day three so we should prepare ourselves, it was day three. I don't think I really understood what he meant, I was more worried about Mum and Dad and how we were going to tell them about Cameron. The doctor came to the rescue and offered to tell them for us. I relaxed from the panic but I was upset at the thought of the pain they were about to feel. It wasn't long before someone told us that Mum and Dad had arrived and were in with the doctor. The knot in my stomach tightened. .

It seemed like forever before Mum and Dad finally walked into the room. The panic gave way to relief as they hugged us. They were clearly in shock but now we could all talk openly and I was able to show them the scans and the black patches of damaged brain. They spent time with us and Cameron and then they left to absorb it all.

Comments