Why Cameron is No Ordinary Kid - Part 14


There were other people also planning on us moving on and looking to the future away from our home,

I received a message to call a person I knew from home. She was an acquaintance but our town was very small so I didn't think it was too strange that she had called presuming she wanted to know how things were going. The conversation started out as I had expected with her asking how Cameron was and how we were coping and then asking what our plans were. Then she asked the most unexpected question.......

Can I take over your clients and business? Say what?????????????

I know I was in denial but remember what everyone else was thinking - Cameron is going to die. If Cameron had died we would have returned to our home and our jobs and created a new life for ourselves in the same town. We both had good jobs and  a lovely unit and good friends living a couple of minutes away. It would have been hard but we would have managed.

I was juggling a part time Kindergarten teaching position with party plan sales for two companies, one selling children's clothes and the other selling children's books and games. She wanted my clothing clients because she knew I had been doing really well and lots of people in town were in love with the clothes.

Now I can think of lots of things I should have said to her but instead, in total shock, I said - okay.

It never ceases to amaze me how insensitive people can be, we had only been gone a week.

Another phone call I remember was with a friend from home who I would visit and have long chats with. I had met her when I ran the towns Day Care Centre and she had her second child the year I had my first. She was someone I looked up to for advice and I really enjoyed our chats and time together.

She rang to see what was happening and when I explained how sick Cameron was and that he had severe brain damage she was lost for words. She went quiet and said to me - I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry. We were now living in two totally different worlds and she no longer had advice for me. It was sad that I lost my mentor but I hope she never understands my world. I hasten to add, I didn't lose her friendship.

I had many interesting conversations over the next few months where people didn't know what to say or how to support us. Friendships dissolved, some slowly and some quickly. People couldn't relate to our new world. Some friendships grew stronger and still exist today.

Comments